Thursday, June 28, 2018

WELCOME TO HELL ? – IN SEARCH OF THE REAL TURKISH FOOTBALL BY JOHN McMANUS




Greetings Kankas and Kankies.

I finished reading this book today and I thoroughly enjoyed ‘the ride’ !

I first met John on the terraces of the 19 Mayis Stadium in Ankara when he came to watch an Ankaragucu match and I had no idea at that time he was writing a book about Turkish footie.   I assumed he was another one of us blinkered Ankaragucu fantics !!

It was therefore an honour and a privilege to be invited to his book launch on the 18th of June at The British Ambassador’s Residence in Ankara.   In his address to the audience he gave a few ‘tit-bits’ of the direction the book would take.

Unsurprisingly, the book centred mainly around the Istanbul clubs, with particular emphasis on John’s adopted team, Besiktas.   However, there were interesting chapters on footie in Ankara, Izmir, Trabzon, Antep and Diyarbakir in which I learned much.

I have been following Ankaragucu since 1988 and thought I knew most things about Turkish footie, but I was pleased to learn so much about its history which I didn’t know !

The book was well researched and pulled no punches in its use of ‘terracing language’ when necessary.

An excellent read, most enjoyable, and I highly recommend you obtain a copy whether you are a footie fanatic or not.

Thanks for ‘the journey’ John, and look forward to seeing you again soon on the terraces and socially.

All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment