Friday, April 07, 2006

Tesekkurler Ingiltere

I was quite confused today to find articles in the Turkish papers headlined "Tesekkurler Ingliltere" and then describing Middlesbrough defeating Basel in the UEFA Cup quarterfinal. I of course ignored the articles for a while but eventually my curiosity got too much and, after watching some highlights on NTV, I actually bothered to read them.

It seems that if Basel had won Switzerland would have grabbed a place off Turkey in the Champions League in the 2007-2008 season (not next season but the one after). That would also make it harder to get into the UEFA Cup.

So I guess in the end Middlesbrough did us a favour. So indeed, thanks Ingiltere. It was also good to see Viduka in amongst the goals again. The man is running into some fine form with the World Cup just a few months away. Watch out Brazil!

By the way, just noticed that this is the 100th post on the blog. Considering that 50 percent of all blogs die after three months, I reckon Eski Kanka deserves a beer, after all he had never even heard the word blog before December.

4 comments:

  1. FAME at last, and I would like to inform everyone that I posted the 99th Blog !!! As for that beer, yesssssssss pleeeezzz - when can I claim it ???

    Incidentally, well done 'Boro, and also a mention for Arsenal knocking out the Italian Champions in waiting from the Champions League.

    All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Eski Kanka, I guess you did post the 99th but it was Hibee Kanka who wrote most of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Ok, Ok..... let's not split hairs !!! Let's get back to the important point......... when can I claim my BEERS ?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the secret at last !! If I post a comment, then the blog will let me make a new blog. However, if I try to go straight into `start` then it will deny me. Strange, but let's check it out.

    ReplyDelete