Monday, March 16, 2015

Gencler cement eighth position!

It was perhaps not the best match in the world but for us Gencler fans at a packed Sudem pub it was brilliant. The only sad thing is that we weren't at the stadium to see such a great victory. Thanks Passolig.

Genclerbirligi 2 - 1 Fenerbahce

I was at the red Lion Club midweek when someone asked me when the match was on. I pulled out my phone but the TFF website still hasn't entered the 21st century and so I wasn't able to figure it out. I jumped onto google and the first page that popped up said it was on sunday at 6pm.

All alone at the Sudem pub on Sunday at 6pm and it dawned on me that I must have been looking at an English website.

Two hours and a few beer later and kick-off.

We started with the same team as we have in the last few weeks with the new fan favourite El Kabir up front. Stancu must still be injured.

And.... we weren't too bad. Fenerbahce had more of the ball, and always looked dangerous, but we were doing some nice things in midfield. It was a bit frustrating though. Just as last week we just weren't converting good positions into shots.

Until, Guido forced a brilliant save from Fener's goalkeeper.

Could we get a breakthrough. Of course we could. Just check out the video attached to the tweet below. Pure class.


Fenerbahce stepped things up and there was great frustration at the pub when they equalised. Except from three old blokes who celebrated in a rather mute way.

A few minutes from the end and Gosso, who had come on as a substitution sent a long cross in. I'm not sure what the Fener defender was doing, but he basically let it go through to an unmarked El Kabir who must have been surprised to see that Volkan was completely out of position. Simple header. In. Goal. Mayhem.

Simply amazing. What a victory.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Gencler. I've always said that, historically, Gencler usually up their game when 'the big three' come to town and once again it happens.

    I had great fun today teasing the Fener 'supporters' in my school heh heh heh !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Galatasaray fans were happy with that result: http://www.karsigazete.com.tr/spor/cavcav-galatasarayliyim-cunku-h32230.html

    Good on Gençler!

    ReplyDelete