Sunday, January 20, 2008

Why didn't I go to the match!

Suffering from jet lag and a severe fear of the cold I decided not to go along today to Genclerbirligi's match against Rize and instead I'm snuggled in next to my computer listening to the radio.

Typical though... I was late in getting set up and as soon as turned on the radio they had just finished describing the first goal... So all I can say is that at the 32nd minute Mehmet Cakir scored.

Gencler 1 - 0 Rize (32nd).

The strange thing as I'm listening I'm actually supporting Ankaraspor. Don't worry, I haven't lost my complete indifference to Gokcek's boys, just that they are up against Manisa today and Gencler need Manisa to lose if we are to still hope tıo stay in the top flight next season.

Anyway, half-time just popped up.

Genclerbirligi 1 - 0 Rize (HT).
Ankaraspor 0 - 0 Manisa (HT).
Denizli - Ankaragucu (who will have to wait for Sir Eski for that one).

So here it is at half time and a great opportunity for TRT radio to give us some insight into the progress of the games happening around the country. Instead we get a 10 minutes of Turkish dance-pop crap. Idiots.

Second half and while you could actually hear the Genclerbirligi fans singing (Alpine Kanka Wolfgang is there I think), the commentator said the pace was "very slow". Sounds like I'm not missing much.

Suat fouls Burhan in the box.

Penalty to Genclerbirligi!

And and and

Up comes Okan Ozturk and .... goal!!!!

Genclerbirligi 2 - 0 Rize (59th minute).

What the f... TRT radio have matches on all over the place and now they are giving us a preview of Antep-Fener. Take over the league, hog all the limelight, get on the telly every week and now we get to hear all about Fener's preparation for a match later on. Bollocks to that.

And now Ankaraspor have scored meaning that if the results stay like this Genclerbirligi will get out of the relegation zone (by just a point mind you).

Oh dear... Now Rize have got one back.

Genclerbirligi 2 - 1 Rize (74th).

And then just a minute later Okan Ozturk scores again.

Genclerbirligi 3 - 1 Rize (76th).

About 15 minutes left. "Hang on Gencler!"

Oh God, 3 p.m. and the Fener match has just started and my bet is that they won't even bother to go back to the other matches.

Well, actually they did return to the other matches.

And another!!!!

Mehmet Cakir scores after a defensive nightmare from Rize.

Genclerbirligi 4 - 1 Rize (85th)

Full time and we have a victory!!!!

Genclerbirligi 4 - 1 Rize (FT)

I have no idea who played well or not, TRT radio isn't very good at quick summing up of performances, but I don't care. Gencler have won, just our fourth victory of the season. And to think I decided to stay at home.

Oh, and Gokcekspor won as well meaning we are out of the relegation zone.

5 comments:

  1. A big welcome back to The Round Ball in Ankara to Oz Kanka.

    We have missed all your `cutting edge` reports laced with humour !!

    Well done Gencler for `turning the corner` and beginning the climb up the league table.

    The Ankaragucu report will be posted tomorrow. It is 8.30pm and well past my bedtime. My darling wife is calling for me to come and drink my Ovaltine. Just time to put on my woolie pajamas, bedsocks and my night hat !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fetching nightwear you have Sir Eski Kanka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Oz Kanka, as you will have seen in previous recent posts on the subject of style, Battle Damaged Kanka has obviously affected me in a big way !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELLCOME CHRİS.and well done for the 4 -1!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:13 am

    A bit belated, but a hearty welcome back from myself as well.

    As for Jim's nightwear, well, I will refrain from making any comments.

    ReplyDelete