Tuesday, December 29, 2020




Greetings Kankas and Kankies.


Gencler looked down and out when Kayseri went 2-1 up after the half time resumption.   However, from what I have seen this season, they don’t lack fighting spirit, and even after Sio’s 2 goals were chalked off by VAR they still continued to search for the equaliser.


It must be said that Gencler were assisted by Kayseri’s wayward performance in the 2nd half and Kayseri only have themselves to blame for losing all 3 points.


GENCLERBIRLIGI         3                    Kayserispor         2


Team – Nordfeldt, Omurcan, Toure, Arda, Mustafa, Berat, Piris, Candeias, Yildirim, Ayite and Sio


Substitutes – Yilmaz, Furkan, Huseyin and Ilker


The big surprise pre-match was the new appearance of Turkey’s No1 Referee, Cunayt Cakir, who took to the pitch with a shaved head and beard.   I didn’t recognise him at first  !!


The match started at a snail’s pace, but exploded into life at the 30th minute mark.


A Gencler free kick was cleared to the left and the ball played down the left wing and then inside to Emre who spotted Kanga’s run to his left and played a through ball to his feet.   Kanga took airm and fired in a shot inside the right post.    Game on !


8 minutes later came the equaliser and a similar goal to the opener.   Yildirim made some space for himself on the left and slipped a pass to Candeias inside the box on the left and his shot clipped the inside of the right post on its way in.


Kayseri should have gone ahead just before the half time whistle when Nordfeldt made a point blank reflex save from a shot inside the 6 yard box.   The rebound was destined for a goal, but the ball was cleared off the line by a defender.


Into the 2nd half and Emre almost put Kayseri back in front but his goal bound shot was well saved by Nordfeldt.


10 into the 2nd half and Kayseri were back in front when Arda diverted a cross into his own goal as he was attempting to put the ball out for a corner.


Kayseri thought that they scored again 5 minutes later but Kanga’s ‘goal’ was offside after the referee consulted VAR.


2 minutes later and Sio thought he had equalised when he headed in a cross from the right.   However, the referee again consulted VAR and decided that there was a hand ball in the lead up to the goal.


4 minutes later and again Sio thought he had scored, and again after consulting VAR, the referee decided that there had been an offside in the build up.


With Gencler having most of the ball, it was not a surprise when the equaliser did come, and it was another defensive blunder.    A cross came into the box from the left goal line and a Kayseri defender miscued his clearance and the ball fell kindly for Berat to tap in.


It was heading for a draw, but in the last minute of normal time came another blunder by the Kayseri defence.    A defender lost possession on the left touchline, and when the cross came in, a defender stuck his leg out and the ball went in with the goalkeeper wrong footed.


The win moves Gencler out of the bottom 4, but only 3 points above 4th bottom Ankaragucu.


Next Sunday Gencler travel to mid-table Rize where they will need to demonstrate their fighting spirit again.     Rize are always a difficult nut to crack at home.


Watch this space for the outcome.


All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment