Sunday, August 06, 2006

We all love Hakki

Back from the Black Sea village of Efirli (just outside Ordu) just in time to give the reports for the first week of the "Brandname for sale" Turkish Super Lig.

As Sir Eski Kanka is away, as were both of Ankara's teams (Ankaraspor don't count) I guess I'll have to be the bearer of mixed news.

The good news first:

Sivasspor went down to Genclerbirligi by the tune of 1-2.

According to the brief reports from the Anatolian news agency that we have to rely on for our own match reports...

The match started fast but nothing happened for the first 20 minutes.

In the 22nd minute Musa Kuş for Sivas got around the defence and sent the ball past keeper Gokhan.

Another goal for a Sivas player in the 39th minute. Unfortunately for Sivas they were defending a corner at the time.

1-1 at half time and then blah blah blah, nothing much seems to happen until the 81st minute when Engin (Baytar? - not sure of the last name) was sent off.

The Anatolian news agency live up to their great standards by not even mentioning this in their match report. I can therefore only assume it was for a vicious headbutt on his opposite number after having been insulted. His opposite number will no doubt also be busted by the TFF later in the week.

All set for a draw when Hakki, he who scored the own goal, decided to pass the ball back in defence. It fell for our man Mr. Salad Mickael Nicoise who sent it on to Mehmet Cakir who scored.

It was the 89th minute and clearly not satisfied with having scored one goal for the opposition and setting up another, Hakki went in hard on Mr. Salad. A red card for Hakki's troubles and a shame that the match wasn't played in Ankara as he would have received a standing ovation for his great efforts.

Instead the fans in Sivas decided to pelt the field with plastic bottles. Someone ran onto the field to attack the referee but was stopped by the cops. All up, a great result. Gencler were the only team to win away this week. As opposed to...

Bursaspor 0, Ankaragucu 0

I'm not a professional football writer and therefore it is difficult to get interested in writing about a match in which it may well have been better to have declared the whole thing a draw after the first five minutes.

And therefore with apologies to this blog's many Ankaragucu fans I can only summarise the match and not comment.

5th minute: Free kick 35 metres out. Ceyhun for Ankaragucu takes it. Keeper hits it, off the post and scrambled away.

Rest of first half: Both sides have a few shots on goal but nothing serious.

46th. Bursaspor bugger up a good chance on goal.

Both teams have more shots on goal. But nothing happens.

So after one week Genclerbirligi are in 2nd position on the table behind Fenerbahce. This of course makes the second week fixture of Gencler V Fener a "top of the table" clash. More on that clash coming soon.

In related news: Galatasaray could only manage a draw this weekend while Besiktas lost. It is true that Fener won 6-0 but at least they had Appiah sent off and therefore unavailable for the Gencler match.

No comments:

Post a Comment