Monday, March 21, 2011


Greetings Kankas and Kankies.

The following is a report from Oz Kanka Chris who is experiencing problems accessing the Blog.


I wasn't expecting a win but the way Genclerbirligi lost it last night was depressing. After a great start we sat back and let Trabzonspor attack, attack and attack some more. We also got some more crap refereeing with the papers today saying Trabzon's first goal was offside. Oh yes, Mustafa Pektemek had to be taken to hospital. Nothing went right in the end.

Genclerbirligi 1 - 2 Trabzonspor

Oguz and son, Flying Dutchman Kanka and myself (Oz Kanka reporting here - I still can't get into the blog and so have sent this to Sir Eski) showed up at the Beer Bus as the rain sheeted down in Kizilay. It wasn't cold but conditions weren't great and the groundsman at the 19 Mayis were trying to clear water off the pitch. They were largely unsuccessful.

A minute's silence was called for victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. A worthy mark of respect only to be sullied by Trabzon fans (and a few Gecekondu Gencler fans as well I might add) who started shouting out that "the country will never be divided". Disgusting.

The conditions seemed to bring about a change in Gencler tactics. For the first half it seemed to work. Short balls were the order of the day and we seemed to be getting it right.

Serkan had our first shot, off the post in the first few minutes. It wasn't much later when Cem Can had a shot from 30 metres which the Trabzon keeper didn't have a chance of saving.

We kept up the attacks and I have no idea how we didn't get a second, especially one chance when Pektemek headed it towards goal but it was somehow kept out.

Serdar saved our skin a couple of times and only 20 minutes in and it already seemed like we were sitting back waiting for the final whistle. Still, it was a fun first half and hopes were high we could take it.

Second half and ... er... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. We seemed to be way too deep in defence allowing the Trabzon attackers plenty of time. As the clock clicked down Trabzon were hitting their stride and if it wasn't for a fair bit of luck they could have scored quite a few.

It was no real surprise when they equalised from a free kick. I didn't notice it but the papers today are saying it was scored from an offside position. Speaking of dodgy decisions, there were all sorts of weird decisions on offsides, corners, throw-ins, was the ball in or out etc. with the referee overturning his linesmen a number of times (always to Trabzon's advantage). I am getting a bit sick of having to report this match after match.

Getting towards the end and Pektemek went up for a header and ended up clahing heads with the Trabzon keeper. The theatrics of it were quite funny. They go up, bang, Pektemek doesn't get back up. Ball still in play and the Trabzon keeper is on his feet watching play carefully. About 30 seconds later the ball goes out. Pektemek is still on the floor and with the ball out the Trabzon keeper falls to the ground, rolling around and clutching his head.

As the Trabzon fans booed and whistled us for wasting time, Pektemek was put in the back of an ambulance. We also lost defender Burak to injury and our keeper Serdar was also replaced through injury. For each of the these substitutions the Trabzon fans booed and whistled and swore. So sporting of them.

With so many injuries it was no surprise that six minutes stoppage time was added and it was in the first these that a Trabzon player was given acres of room. He had a shot and Ramazan didn't have a chance.

A depressing end to what was actually a pretty good match. Full of drama and annoying opposition fans. All up though I have to admit that the result was probably morally correct. Trabzon played the better football, especially in the second half.


All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment