Sunday, June 04, 2023




Greetings Kankas and Kankies.


A great team performance by Ankaragucu last night saw them over the line with the one point they needed to preserve their Super League status.


Every player in the team stood-up to the task and none more so than Gokhan who was immense between the sticks as Kayseri poured forward in search of the equaliser, especially in the 2nd half.


The players relief at finally securing safety was clearly visible at the end of the match when they went to the large travelling Ankaragucu support to applaud them.      At last ....... something to celebrate after such and up and down season   !!


So, no doubt it will be another celebration and carnival atmosphere in the Eryaman Stadium on Wednesday when Ankaragucu play their final match of the season.


Back to last night ..............


Kayseri                0                      ANKARAGUCU                  1


Team – Gokhan, Matej, Mujakic, Kevin, Kitsiou, Andrej, Atakan, Taylan, Emre, Milson and Ali Sowe


Substitutes -  Diack, Arda, Hasan Ali and Tasos


Kayseri were clearly determined to make life as difficult as possible for  Ankaragucu  and they looked dangerous going forward throughout the match.


Kayseri almost opened the scoring after 12 minutes after a handball by Atakan about 30 yards out.    The Kayseri player taking the free kick sent a fierce low shot to just inside the left post, but Gokhan was equal to it and made a great save.


4 minutes later and Kayseri gave Ankaragucu another scare from a fast break.     The Kayseri attacker sent his weak shot around Gokhan, but fortunately Kevin was tracking back and cleared the ball before it crossed the line.


Then, in the 23rd minute, and against the run of play, Ankaragucu made the breakthrough with a goal crafted by Milson.    He dispossessed a defender inside the box and passed to Kitsiou on the right who shot inside the left post for an excellent goal.


Kitsiou was again involved at the other end 15 minutes later when he was well placed to clear a Kayseri goal bound shot off the line with Gokhan unable to make contact with the ball.


Lots of smiley faces from us kankas as the players trouped off at half time   The crucial 1st goal had been won and none conceded   !!


Into a nail-biting 2nd half which was mostly all Kayseri searching for the equaliser and some excellent defending by Ankaragucu.    The appearance of Diack off the bench certainly gave more solidity to the defence  !!


Ten minutes in and Gokhan had to save a goal bound shot.


20 minutes to go and Atakan made a saving tackle to stop and goal bound shot.


15 minutes to go and from a fast Kayseri breakaway, a cross was made from the right into the box, but there were no takers.


10 minutes to go and Gokhan to the rescue again when he saved a goal bound shot.


5 minutes to go and Gokhan parried a fierce goal bound shot and fortunately the follow-up was sent past the post.


2 minutes to go and Mujakic made a saving tackle to halt a dangerous attack.


Then ............... the final whistle, and it goes without saying that it came as a great relief   !!


So, well done to the team for grinding out a result last night and securing another season in the Super League.     However, the team will certainly require strengthening before the next campaign    !!!


As I said earlier, the final match of the season will be played on Wednesday against Adana Demirspor, so watch this space for the outcome.


All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment