Sunday, July 02, 2006

Just a few games left

England are gone: No surprises there. Brazil out: They never really caught on fire this tournament. Argentina bow out: The coach to blame here for silly substitutions. Ukraine go home: Lucky to be in the quarters in the first place.

It was a punishing weekend for watching football and the barman at the Red Lion Club must be getting sick of me. But thanks to the Red Lion Club I get to hear BBC or ITV commentary. One of the classics I heard during the Germany-Argentina match was "What Argentina have to do here is attack with the ball". Can't argue with that.

Having had my heart wrenched out and stamped on earlier in the week, it was the turn of all the English down at the club on Saturday evening. The Portuguese played their normal game of diving and acting while England again looked boring.

It was only after Beckham went off and Rooney was sent off did I think England played any decent footie. Of course it went down to penalties and, of course, England stuffed them up.

There were a few blokes at the club who were inconsolable, and quite possible ropeable as well. For an team that went into the tournament with high hopes of winning the cup, England played like rubbish.

After the match it was down to Kizilay to celebrate Battle-Hardened Kanka Damon's last few nights of freedom. Sir Eski Kanka and Genc Kanka Eddie certainly enjoyed the belly dancer but in some ways watching Brazil go down to France was even more fun.

What better way to spend an evening. Beer, football, belly dancer, more football and more beer. Shame England couldn't lift themselves though.

8 comments:

  1. Ingallind ....who ???

    Anyway, what is the World Cup without a `live` Bellydancing performance !

    Some of the kankas tried to keep up with the gorgeous belly dancer last night, but..... they should really stick to beer drinking, swearing at referees and having tantrums when Ankaragucu and Gencler lose !!! Dancers they are NOT, especially `one arm` Genc Kanka who failed miserably to recreate his youth !!!

    Bring on league footie..... I am bored shitless with world cup footie !!!!

    All the best from impatient Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:33 pm

    My dear Smart :-) Ass Kanka from Turkey, I wish you happy Independence Day tomorrow! I hope you will have a great day tomorrow!

    Greetings from your friend green eyed Zagreb Kankie

    ReplyDelete
  3. July 4 also happens to be my wedding anniversary. For work reasons Mrs. Oz Kanka has to go to the reception at the US embassy and for obvious reasons I'll be at the Red Lion Club. Isn't love grand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it before and I'll say it again...........

    football is more than a way of life, in fact, it is more serious than that !!!

    See you at the Club Oz Kanka to support Italy of course !!!

    All the best from Footie Fanatik Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Italy??? Don't think so matey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:23 pm

    How many years are you in marriage? Happy wedding anniversary to you and to your wife! :-)

    This year since I am not in the US, I missed the big show in the air (fireworks) and party. :-( I miss it!

    Hmmm, I have never ever saw in my entire life real belly dancers in live. Only on TV. Hmm, how that looks like in live? Do they have men belly dancers or something similar? :-)

    Greetings from Zagreb, yours Zagreb Kankie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Miss Zagreb Kankie, we don't have the oppotunity of seeing fireworks here too, but you can be sure that there will be a fireworks display on 29 July when Ankaragucu win the Sportswriters Cup yessssssssssssss !!!

    As for male belly dancers, I think we should knock that one on the head and stick to luvvlie lushusssss Turkish girls !!!

    Having witnessed the antics of some of our kankas last weekend, I think it is a lost cause !! However, if or when, you come to Ankara, I am sure that we can persuade them to `try again`, just for YOU !!!

    All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:37 pm

    :-) :-) That's sound excellent! :-)

    I just read your new blog where you are saying that you left without key players in your favorite team.

    Greetings to all of my Kankas in Turkey from your Zagreb Kankie :-)

    ReplyDelete