Tuesday, March 28, 2006

National embarrassments

The TDN ran a brilliant story yesterday by the wonderful folks at Agence France Press (AFP) on a survey of British men and their allegiance to their football teams. Some snippets:

Some 94 percent said they would never stop loving their team no matter how bad they were while 52 percent would gladly ditch a relationship that was not going well, the survey of approximately 2,000 men across Britain found.

Statement of the obvious really. I've only ever supported one rugby league team (the Balmain Tigers) since about the age of three but have had more than a few girlfriends in that time. Just one wife though, but perhaps that is thanks to the fact that she lets me go to the football.

The research also discovered that a majority of Englishmen surveyed (59 percent) said football gave them a sense of national pride, while a majority of Scotsmen (55 percent) said it gave them a sense of national embarrassment.

Are you in that 55 percent Eski Kanka? What about you Kilcardy Kanka?

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Kankas, and I think it goes without saying that I am NOT in the 55% bracket !!! Whilst not wishing to diminish all the effort which must have gone into preparing the survey, I find it difficult to believe !!! I've never met a defeatest Scotsman in my life !!!!
    As I mentioned a few days ago in a comment to Kirkcaldy Kanka, I have been to his Rovers Stadium to watch my team Hibernian when we graced the 2nd league stadiums way back in 1980, or was it 1981, whatever, the point is that you will be very hard pressed to find a disloyal Jock !!!
    I have also been supporting the Mighty Ankaragucu since 1988 and if that is not loyalty then I don't know what is !!!
    All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete